The SkyBell Doorbell Cameras typically have higher bandwidth requirements than other Alarm.com video devices. For more information about the bandwidth requirements for other video devices, see How much network bandwidth do Alarm.com video devices use?.
- Wi-Fi signal strength of 66% or higher. For more information about viewing the signal strength, see To view the doorbell camera's Wi-Fi signal strength.
- Internet upload speed of 2 Mbps or higher. To measure your upload speed, see Perform an Internet speed test.
Router settings requirements
- A router broadcasting an 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz network. The Slim Line II Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera also supports 5 GHz networks.
- The network must be visible (i.e., not a hidden network).
- Wi-Fi encryption must be WPA, WPA2, or both.
- Dual band routers must separate the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands into unique Wi-Fi names.
Note: If the router's settings need adjustment, refer to your Internet Service Provider or the router's user manual for instructions.
Wi-Fi extender requirements (if needed)
The extender must broadcast a visible network. Hidden SSIDs (i.e., Wi-Fi names) are not supported.
Verify the extender uses an SSID (e.g., NetworkName_ext) that is unique from the router's main wireless network. The SkyBell Doorbell Camera may bounce between the two networks otherwise.
To view the doorbell camera's Wi-Fi signal strength:
- Log into the Alarm.com customer website.
- Click Video.
- Click Settings.
- Using the Video Device dropdown menu, click to select the doorbell camera.
- Click Video Device Info.
- In Normalized Wireless Signal Strength, click . The page reloads and displays the signal strength.
To improve Wi-Fi signal strength:
- Verify that the router is in an open area with minimal obstructions between it and the doorbell camera.
- If possible, adjust the router's position. Even a few inches can make a difference.
- Install a Wi-Fi extender or Access Point between the doorbell camera and router, then connect the doorbell camera to the new networking device.
If you have trouble improving the signal strength or getting the doorbell camera to connect to your network, contact your service provider for further assistance. For more information about how to find your service provider's contact information, see Contact your service provider.