The Malfunction trouble condition indicates a device is unable to properly communicate.
Note: The thermostat or remote temperature sensor status may also appear as offline.
If a Z-Wave thermostat is in malfunction or offline:
Additional troubleshooting steps for the thermostat may also be found within the Z-Wave Troubleshooting Wizard. For more information, see Z-Wave Troubleshooting Wizard.
- Verify the device is powered on.
- Verify the device is within range of the Z-Wave network.
- Trigger the thermostat by manually changing the temperature on it.
- Power off the device by removing it off the wall and removing the batteries, if possible. Wait a couple of minutes, and then power the device back on.
Note: For the Smart Thermostat HD, power down the thermostat by powering off its respective breaker, then power the breaker back on to power on the thermostat.
- Once the device has been powered on, repeat step 3.
- If the device is still in malfunction or offline, contact your service provider.
If a Z-Wave remote temperature sensor is in malfunction or offline:
- Activate the remote temperature sensor by either pressing the button or sliding the cover off of the sensor. The sensor's LED should illuminate.
- Verify the remote temperature sensor has battery power. Replace the battery if needed.
- After replacing the battery, repeat step 1.
- If the device is still in malfunction or offline, contact your service provider for further assistance.